Civil War Chess Set by The Franklin Mint
Offered here is an original Civil War Chess Set manufactured by The Franklin Mint. The chess set contains 32 Pewter portrait sculptures mounted atop solid Brass Pedestals with Grey and Blue enameled embellishments. Also included are the identification charts for both armies as well a short history of the Stonewall and Iron Brigades and a brief biography for each of the characters. These cards are neatly housed in the original navy-blue box with hinge-top lid. A pamphlet titled “Funeral Practices During the Civil War” is an added feature for historical context. The set is complete and in excellent condition. The portrait sculptures have been authenticated by the National Historical Society. The brightly finished playing area has a dark Mahogany encasement. The top of chess board lifts up to reveal separate storage compartments for each of the thirty-two chess pieces. The Chess Board Measures 14.5″ x 14.5″. The set is in excellent condition.
The Union army consists of the following characters.
- The King: Ulysses S. Grant
- The Queen: Clara Barton
- The Bishops: George, G. Meade; William Tecumseh Sherman
- The Knights: Philip Henry Sheridan; George Armstrong Custer
- The Rooks: The Cannon
- The Pawns, Wisconsin’s Iron Brigade: Abraham Lincoln, Samuel Dana Greene, Ambrose Burnside, Joseph Hooker, David Glasgow Farragut, John Gibbon and George McClellan.
The Confederate army consists of the following characters
- The King: Robert E. Lee
- The Queen: Belle Boyd
- The Bishops: Pierre G. Beauregard; Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson
- The Knights: Joseph Wheeler; Jeb Stuart
- The Rooks: Mortars
- The Pawns, The Stonewall Brigade