Civil War Chess Set by The Franklin Mint
Offered here is an original Civil War Chess Set manufactured by The Franklin Mint. The chess set contains 32 Pewter portrait sculptures mounted atop solid Brass Pedestals with Grey and Blue enameled embellishments and the identification cards in an envelope. The portrait sculptures have been authenticated by the National Historical Society. The bright-finished playing area has a dark Mahogany encasement. The top of chess board lifts up to reveal separate storage compartments for each of the thirty two chess pieces. The Chess Board Measures 14.5″ x 14.5″. The set in excellent condition. Please note that the chessboard mistakenly sent by the Franklin Mint as part of the subscription is a Revolutionary War Chessboard, which is larger than the correct Civil War chessboard/box and it has a much nicer playing field, which is a bright silver and gold metallic surface.
The Union army consists of the following characters.
- The King: Ulysses S. Grant
- The Queen: Clara Barton
- The Bishops: George, G. Meade; William Tecumseh Sherman
- The Knights: Philip Henry Sheridan; George Armstrong Custer
- The Rooks: The Cannon
- The Pawns, Wisconsin’s Iron Brigade: Abraham Lincoln, Samuel Dana Greene, Ambrose Burnside, Joseph Hooker, David Glasgow Farragut, John Gibbon and George McClellan.
The Confederate army consists of the following characters
- The King: Robert E. Lee
- The Queen: Belle Boyd
- The Bishops: Pierre G. Beauregard; Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson
- The Knights: Joseph Wheeler; Jeb Stuart
- The Rooks: Mortars
- The Pawns, The Stonewall Brigade