Civil War Chessmen by The Franklin Mint
Offered here is a set of the original Civil War Chessmen manufactured by The Franklin Mint. The chess set contains 32 Pewter portrait sculptures mounted atop solid Brass Pedestals with Grey and Blue enameled embellishments. Missing are the identification charts for both armies. The portrait sculptures have been authenticated by the National Historical Society. The brightly finished playing area has a dark Mahogany encasement. The top of chess board lifts up to reveal separate storage compartments for each of the thirty-two chess pieces. The Chess Board Measures 13.5″ x 13.5″. The set is in excellent condition.
The Union army consists of the following characters.
- The King: Ulysses S. Grant
- The Queen: Clara Barton
- The Bishops: George, G. Meade; William Tecumseh Sherman
- The Knights: Philip Henry Sheridan; George Armstrong Custer
- The Rooks: The Cannon
- The Pawns, Wisconsin’s Iron Brigade: Abraham Lincoln, Samuel Dana Greene, Ambrose Burnside, Joseph Hooker, David Glasgow Farragut, John Gibbon and George McClellan.
The Confederate army consists of the following characters
- The King: Robert E. Lee
- The Queen: Belle Boyd
- The Bishops: Pierre G. Beauregard; Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson
- The Knights: Joseph Wheeler; Jeb Stuart
- The Rooks: Mortars
- The Pawns, The Stonewall Brigade