The Franklin Mint Civil War Chess Table and Chess Pieces.
Offered here is an original Civil War Chess Table with Chess Pieces manufactured by The Franklin Mint. The chess set consists of a table measuring 21″ squares by 26-1/2″ tall and 32 Pewter portrait sculptures mounted atop solid Brass Pedestals with Grey and Blue enameled embellishments. The portrait sculptures have been authenticated by the National Historical Society. The pewter-finished playing area has a dark hardwood encasement. The top of chess board lifts off to reveal separate storage compartments for each of the thirty two chess pieces. The Chess Board itself measures 13.5″ x 13.5″. The Civil War Chess Table has cast medallions on either side of the legs depicting a Union and Confederate soldier. This set of Chessmen and the Civil War Chess Table includes the original Certificate of Authenticity, dated April 7, 1983, with a facsimile signature of William C. Davis, Chairman of the National Historical Society and other associated promotional paperwork. Also included are identification charts for both armies as well a short history of the Stonewall and Iron Brigades as well as each of the characters. These are neatly housed in the original navy blue box with hinge-top lid. The set is complete and in excellent condition. There are a few minor scuffs on the table consistent with its age and normal wear.
The Union army consists of the following characters.
- The King: Ulysses S. Grant
- The Queen: Clara Barton
- The Bishops: George, G. Meade; William Tecumseh Sherman
- The Knights: Philip Henry Sheridan; George Armstrong Custer
- The Rooks: The Cannon
- The Pawns, Wisconsin’s Iron Brigade: Abraham Lincoln, Samuel Dana Greene, Ambrose Burnside, Joseph Hooker, David Glasgow Farragut, John Gibbon and George McClellan.
The Confederate army consists of the following characters
- The King: Robert E. Lee
- The Queen: Belle Boyd
- The Bishops: Pierre G. Beauregard; Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson
- The Knights: Joseph Wheeler; Jeb Stuart
- The Rooks: Mortars
- The Pawns, The Stonewall Brigade