Reproduction John Calvert Chessmen, Full Club Size.
A superb Full Club Size set of John Calvert Chessmen. This reproduction is crafted from Boxwood and Gabon Ebony. This style of chessmen was common in the late Georgian Period and probably dates to the 1820s. The King stands an impressive 4-1/2″ tall with a 1-7/8″ diameter base. The chessmen are heavily weighted and rest atop green baize base pads. The Kings are witted with gold-embossed black English leather pads. The Boxwood pieces are antiqued to produce a very attractive, deep patina. Shown in the accompanying image is a size comparison with a Jaques 4.4″ Staunton King. The chessmen are new and are housed in the premium, divided, Mahogany hinge-top box, lined in green baize shown. These Frank Camaratta Signature John Calvert Chessmen are Part of The House of Staunton Pre-Staunton Series. The antique chessboard shown in the image is not included in this offering but can be purchased separately elsewhere on this website.
Some Background on the Calvert Design.
The original Calvert chessmen were produced in the workshop of John Calvert, located at 189 Fleet Street where he operated his business between 1790 until his death in 1825. He was awarded the title Master of the Worshipful Company of Turners in 1819. After his death, the business was continued by his widow, Dorothy, until around 1840. This Old English Playing set design is typical of the work of John Calvert. Similar sets of chessmen were made by Thomas and William Lund as well as George Merrifield and John Jaques, among others. These John Calvert Tournament chessmen fall into the ubiquitous category often referred to as English Playing sets, which also included the Saint George pattern. English Playing sets were ultimately supplanted by the Staunton chessmen which were introduced to the public in September of 1849.